Boat Builder - Project leader for the community rowing project
Job specification- The Pioneer Sailing Trust is seeking to recruit an experienced boat builder to lead the production of 24ft composite rowing gigs. This work will be part of a significant 3 year project.
Profile of the individual: This role is critical to both the successful delivery of community rowing project and to the wider goals of the Pioneer Sailing Trust. Due to the Trusts role as a provider of training and a charitable trust receiving considerable interest from the general public, we are looking for an individual who exhibits a high standard of professionalism and who can to lead, enthuse and motivate our apprentices.
Specific roles and duties will include:
- ● Ordering materials and tools needed for the project and liaising with suppliers of materials and services;
● Collaborating in developing the programme of learning for apprentices;
● Structure and organise the build process of the rowing gigs and any other boat building tasks set and delegation of tasks;
● Supervision and management of apprentices/work experience students working on the boat projects;
- ● Ensuring that the work area is kept clean and is cleared of debris on a daily basis and presents a professional image to apprentices and visitors
- ● Encouraging and providing guidance to apprentices, taking time to explain key stages of the build process
- ● Liaising with other contractors and staff within the Pioneer Sailing Trust to resolve short term problems
- ● Regularly reporting to the senior management team on project progress and action to resolve potential project slippage
- ● Responsibility for ensuring that all work implemented in the yard complies with health and safety requirements and good working practices
- ● Ensure that all boat yard staff and apprentices adhere to health and safety procedures set by the Pioneer Sailing Trust
- ● Producing progress reports to support financial claims made to funders of the project